Re: Ugly default note spacing in single staff polyphony

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Ugly default note spacing in single staff polyphony
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:05:02 +0200

2012/5/24 Nick Payne <address@hidden>:
> In the following, to look correctly positioned, the final A in the bar needs
> to be moved slightly to the right relative to the notes in the other voice
> each side of it. I tried moving the note to the right using \override
> NoteColumn #'force-hshift, but that didn't move the note. What can I use? I
> think it needs to go about half a staff space to the right, without
> increasing the spacing between the C notes in the other voice.
>
> \version "2.15.39"
>
> \relative c'' {
>    \time 3/4
> <<
>        { r8 c4 c c8 r c4 c c8 }
>        \\
>        { a,4 a' a' a,, a' \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #0.5
> a' }
>>>
> }
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,

\override NoteColumn #'force-hshift seems to need a note from another
voice as a substantial reference-point.
But if you try to insert such a (invisible) note the following
NoteColumn is moved, too. And the resulting code is worse:

\version "2.15.38"

\relative c'' {
   \time 3/4
<<
       { r8 c4 c c8 r c4 c4*1/2 \hideNotes c' \unHideNotes c,8 }
       \\
       { a,4 a' a' a,, a' \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #0.5 a' }

}

Trying to use 'X-offset instead seems to work:

\version "2.15.38"

\relative c'' {
   \time 3/4
<<
       { r8 c4 c c8 r c4 c4 c8 }
       \\
       { a,4 a' a' a,, a' \once \override NoteColumn #'X-offset = #0.5 a' }

}

HTH,
  Harm