Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Source management tools for lilypond projects
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 09:50:54 +0200

From: Graham Percival<address@hidden>
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:36:35PM +0200, Christian Andersson wrote:
Now, sit down and await all flames from proponents of all the other tools!
Saving different versions of files to floppy disks and writing a
label in a thick pen was good enough for us in 1986.  Especially
when we re-used a floppy disk and scratched out the previous
version number and wrote a new one on top.
Fine until you need to revert to a previous version...

From: Federico Bruni<address@hidden>
Free as Free Software (GPL).
SparkleShare is a software, not a hosting service (even though it may
become also a hosting service, see sparkleshare.net).

You can put your git repository wherever you want: personal server,
github, bitbucket (which has unlimited free private repositories at the
moment).

I'm not familiar at all with SparkleShare. I started using it two days
ago to share some files with a person who uses Windows and knows nothing
about Git.
FWIW, I taught a couple of my students to "git pull" from here[1] and here[2]
in about 5 minutes. Lack of knowledge of git is a minor consideration. Especially if you
provide that user with a script to do this:

git stash save
git pull --rebase
git stash pop
Thanks, this is the answer to one question I had about the suggestions:
Would it be achievable to use a git repository with collaborators who first have to learn this from scratch. _I_ could/can take some effort to learn git to set up and manage a repo, but I couldn't expect prospective contributors to do this.
:-)

Best
Urs

hjh