Re: Fwd: Middle voices and rests

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Fwd: Middle voices and rests
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:07:00 +0000 (UTC)

David B. Stocker <notesettersinc <at> gmail.com> writes:

>     Any guess on how to make LilyPond automatically shift rests the way
>     it shifts notes in middle voices to avoid collisions with other
>     notes?

No, she will not shift rests horizontally for you.
>      g4 \rest g

LilyPond automatically avoids collisions by moving the rest vertically
if you write it as r4 g, but if you keep it in the middle, you have to
take over with something like
  \once\override Rest #'X-offset = #1.3
  g4 \rest g
and then ignore the spurious warnings.

>     Here's a minimal example.

People often claim an example is 'minimal' on this group, for some reason,
but often they are not.  I you really mean it, that the tablature staff
is involved, then I am confused. Do you want rests on the tablature?