Re: Dashed Stem

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Dashed Stem
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 10:05:43 +0200

Hi David, Hi Thomas,

thank you very much!
I'm increasingly fascinated by LilyPond - and this mailing list.
And I'll definitely have to learn how to write Scheme functions myself ...

With your suggestions I can really solve the problem at hand, so thanks.
What I especially like about the new solution is that it automatically uses the original Stem's thickness (so it's independent from overrides.

Maybe it would be nice to be able to use this more generally (as a \stemDashed command). But for this it shouldn't have a fixed number of dashes but rather a consistent dash pattern (independent from the Stem's length. Although I don't really understand the function, I assume that the original Stem's length is already used. So it should be quite simple to use this and calculate the dashes from that?
I don't expect to be able to apply such complex operations as curve's 'dash-definition. But if one would use two variables that are defined in the function's file one could then redefine them in the music file.

But as said, for my actual task I can very well use it as it is and just decide upon the number of dashes manually.

Best
Urs