Re: Swung eighths syntax?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Swung eighths syntax?
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 15:42:49 +0200

Corbin Simpson <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a project (github.com/mostawesomedude/lye) where one of
> the main formats is a strict subset of Lilypond syntax. I want to
> introduce swung eighths, but don't know what syntax Lilypond plans to
> adopt for it. What's the expected syntax going to look like? Should I
> just roll my own?

I don't think you should worry all too much: the "expected syntax" is
most likely going to end up as a single music function call over a long
music expression, so you are not likely to require doing much once it
actually gets supported.

If you intend on swinging manually yourself, you need to do something
like converting every

    c8 c8

into

    c8*4/3 c8*2/3

(assuming the common 2+1 swinging pattern).  That's not "expected
syntax" but rather existing syntax, but of course doing that sort of
thing for manual music entry is rather cumbersome.  Since you are
planning an automated export, you might consider doing it in this manner
if you are in control of the generated rhythm anyway.

--
David Kastrup