Re: Merge Rests Engraver

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Merge Rests Engraver
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:45:43 -0600

Hi Jay,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Jay Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
I want to open up the conversation about merging rests again (see bug
1228 http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1228). Below
is a first go at a scheme based engraver. It doesn't kill any grobs so
the chance of segfaults is lower. Do overlapping grobs have any other
unintended consequences? I haven't spent much time testing it yet
besides the attached examples and a couple other scores. It seems to
work well enough. Let me know if you see any ways it can be
simplified.

-----Jay

Very cool!

I don't have an answer to your question about overlapping grobs, just a suggestion: could you generalize this to deal with more than two voices?  (Maybe you could collect the acknowledged rests into a list, rather than using separate variables rest-a, rest-b, etc. Just a thought.)

HTH,
David