Re: Is there an equivalent of #define ... #ifndef ... #endif in lilypond

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Is there an equivalent of #define ... #ifndef ... #endif in lilypond?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 04:57:03 -0800 (PST)

David Kastrup wrote:

> Michael Hendry <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've been experimenting with \tag, but it doesn't seem to be possible
>> to use it in the \book {} context.
>
> Care to show your experiments?
>
> --
> David Kastrup

OK - here's a stripped-down version of a 32-bar standard:
<code>
\version "2.14.0"
% TestTag
% Michael Hendry
% 20th Feb 2012

\header {
    title = "TestTag"
    composer = "Michael Hendry"
    enteredby="MDH"
}

\paper {
    paper-width = 21.0\cm
    paper-height = 29.7\cm
    top-margin = 0.0\cm
    bottom-margin = 0.0\cm
    left-margin = 1.0\cm
    right-margin = 1.0\cm
    ragged-last = ##f
    }

TheHead =  \relative c' {
\clef "treble" \key d \minor \numericTimeSignature \time 4/4
\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-letters
  { s1*32 }
}
TheChords =  \chords {
        d1:m9|
        s1*31|
 }

% The score definition
% Create four separate "books", each consisting of a lead sheet in a
different key
% (for Guitar, Concert, Bb and Eb instruments respectively).

\book {
        \bookOutputName "TestTag (gtr)"
        \new Score
<<
        \transpose f' f' {\TheChords}
        \new Staff
        \repeat unfold 8 {
        s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \break }
        \transpose f' f' {\TheHead}

        \header {piece = "Guitar"}
}

\tag #'ConcertBook {
\book {
        \bookOutputName "TestTag (concert)"
        \new Score
<<
        \transpose f' f {\TheChords}
        \new Staff
        \repeat unfold 8 {
        s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \break }
        \transpose f' f {\TheHead}

        \header {piece = "Concert Pitch"}

\book {
        \bookOutputName "TestTag (tpt)"
        \new Score
<<
        \transpose f' g {\TheChords}
        \new Staff
        \repeat unfold 8 {
        s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \break }
    \transpose f' g {\TheHead}

        \header {piece = "Trumpet"}
}
\book {
        \bookOutputName "TestTag (alto)"
        \new Score
<<
        \transpose f' d {\TheChords}
        \new Staff
        \repeat unfold 8 {
        s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \noBreak s1 \break }
        \transpose f' d {\TheHead}

        \header {piece = "Alto Sax"}
}
</code>

I thought I'd be able to tag the whole of the section that produces the
Concert Pitch version of the piece, so that I could suppress its production
using \removeWithTag #'ConcertBook, but Lilypond says:

Layout output to `TestTag (gtr).ps'...
Converting to `./TestTag (gtr).pdf'...
score.ly:50:0: error: syntax error, unexpected \book

\book {
score.ly:60:8: error: syntax error, unexpected \header

        \header {piece = "Concert Pitch"}
score.ly:49:0: error: errors found, ignoring music expression

\tag #'ConcertBook {
Interpreting music... [8]