Re: Mix MusixTex and LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Mix MusixTex and LilyPond
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:54:50 +0100

Hartmut Leister <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm writing/producing a song book, but want to use both LilyPond and
> MusixTex, since I already got sheets in both types/languages.
>
> Here's what I do so far:
> (1) Use lilypond-book to translate LY to TEX
> (2) link the new TEX-file from the MusixTex-Project
> (3) translate MusixTex to pdf
>
> Is there an easier way to combine LilyPond and MusixTex in one
> document/project?
> Is there a possibility to convert MusixTex to Lilypond or vice versa?

MusiXTeX is about as useful for conversion to LilyPond as PostScript is
for conversion to LaTeX.  It is a very low-level format with lots of
nitty-gritty details which you need to convert into a higher-level
meaning if you aim to make a useful conversion.

Usually format conversion between different streaks is to find some
application that, for whatever reason, has import and export filters.

I don't think anything can import MusiXTeX.  And it does not produce
Midi either and does not has an actual view of the source that would be
convertible to anything but a score sheet.

So your best bet are likely optical music recognition programs in the
long run.

Other than that, you can likely typeset your MusicTeX sheets to PDF and
include them as graphics in the LaTeX part of your Lilypond-book
document.  That sounds like it would be somewhat more natural than your
current workflow.

--
David Kastrup