Educational output for beginners?

From: Lobinho
Subject: Educational output for beginners?
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 11:14:13 -0800 (PST)

This is an idea I had a few weeks ago, but I never found anything in the
documentation and the web. It would be nice if there were some kind of
special output for people who are new to sheet music and barely beginning to
learn it.

I thought of something like karaoke, with the score instead of the lyrics.
It could be in video or any easily-portable file type, either applied over a
layer of synchronized audio-visual recording or by itself. Does anyone know
if such thing exists?

---

A bit of background as to why I'm searching for this...

I'm part of a taiko group and many people in it are interested in learning
sheet music because our repertoire is getting rather large and complex, and
I'm typesetting everything so we won't lose our sensei's (as well as our
own) compositions. The thing is, they don't seem very eager to study the
whole music theory, and practical examples such as video recordings and
rehearsing by ear are the most popular way of teaching we could find.

And the main reason I'm not very inclined to switching to other MIDI
software is that I can't find one that allows for one-lined staves (for
single taiko drums) or two/three-lined ones (for sets or combinations of
more drums). Would it be relevant to upload a sample sheet music?

---

Oh, I had a less-than-ideal thought just before posting this message right
now... Since taiko only deals with rhythm and tempo rather than different
note pitches (c, d, e...), I could make up karaoke songs with the note
values as plain text characters (텗텥 텘텥 텘텥텮 ...), but this doesn't cover
issues like beaming, or all other music.

Besides, we do have a code for playing the drum with the right hand (on the
space above the staff line), the left hand (below it) or whichever hand you
like (on the line itself). That could be a problem with plain text in a
single lyrics line. So yeah, back to square one. Fancy output feature,
anyone?

---

Thanks in advance. :)