Re: Tremolos between two whole notes

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Tremolos between two whole notes
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 11:58:59 +0100

2012/2/4 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:

> I don't recall discussions about whole note tremolo related to the
> tremolo style i was working on.

OK, I was not sure.   And at that moment I was not courageous enough
to 'dig' into the archive to find the relevant thread.

Now I did.  And I found this discussion I remembered a bit.
It was indeed more recent that the report of 2007, since this discussion
occurred in February 2011 (so exactly one year ago).
The subject was titled "Cleanup beam scoring code" (yeah, so a bit
difficult to find it by searching with the keyword "tremolo"!).

Basically Werner, Reinhold and Han-Wen agreed that slanted "beam"
tremolo should be the default behaviour for whole notes.  And Reinhold
said that

  "According to Gardner Read (p. 236-237) and Kurt Stone (p. 150-151),
  the beams of whole-note tremolos are slanted like with shorter
  durations with stems, but the beams are placed centered between the
  whole notes (i.e. not where an imaginary stem would end!). The only
  situation where an imaginary stem is used to determine the
  position/slant of the beams is in cross-staff tremolos."

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-02/msg00029.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-02/msg00032.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2011-02/msg00034.html

I'm adding this comment on issue #1176 .

> sorry for being grumpy,

At least you are not "whining".  :D

Cheers,
Xavier