Multiple notes over same lyric

From: mdspencer
Subject: Multiple notes over same lyric
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:28:51 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'm trying to put multiple notes *over* the same lyric. What I mean can be
seen in this PDF: http://www.npm.org/Chants/assets/Gloria.pdf

The word earth for example has two notes over the text itself. A few more
melismatic examples on page 2 also. When I try to accomplish this, it seems
that the second note gets pushed right till it's after the end of the text,
ending up with a long slur before the remaining notes are close together.
(By the way I'm mimicking the style in the PDF to some extent: no stems, no
barlines, cadenzaOff, a few old markings via gregorian.ly).

I have tried many of the examples from the lilypond manuals (different lyric
entry modes, associated voices, using slurs, manual lyric durations, etc.)
with no luck. Am I missing something simple here? Any ideas?

Thank you!