Re: Lyircs melsima line ending in interpunctation

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Lyircs melsima line ending in interpunctation
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:27:03 +0100

2012/1/24 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Francisco Vila <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I disagree.  For me, the only right place for punctuation is directly
>>> after the syllable.  Remember that if we sing, say,
>>>
>>>  a - stray:_________
>>>

>>> we actually do
>>>
>>>  a - stra_________y:
>>>
>>> so putting just the punctuation after the melisma is illogical.
>>
>> I've been asking myself why, if that's the rule (which I don't deny)
>> eg. Frank Sinatra sings:
>>
>> Newwwwwwww York
>
> Hm?  "ew" is one vowel, not a diphthong.

In US English is more like 'noo' but still a phonetic diphthong, if
I'm not wrong.

> How would "ewwwww" differ from
> "eeeeew"?

:-)

>From a Spanish-speaker point of view (and I suspect also from an FFT
analyzer), nearly every English 'vowel' are diphthongs. Think the word
'No' which is pronounced by closing the 'o' towards 'oo' at the end.

Yes, Brithish 'New' http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=new and US
'New' are different.

> Frank Sinatra is not generally considered the epitome of cultured
> vocalization.

His recordings are still used by language teachers as examples of good
pronunciation.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com