Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: ISMLP/WIMA (?)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:58:32 -0500

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 11:05 -0800, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> > Open software people tend to consider artists as being
> > equivalent to programmers, so they think artists
> > should starve. I have no sympathy with that view.
> > Obviously. Knowledge should be free, Yale to the
> > contrary. Art shouldn't be free until the artist gets his.
>
> The source code of the lilypond score is not the `music' or even
> `art', so maybe people get confused.

That is true of the program code, but not the data. The
document must carry a copyright notice if it contains
the notes, because it is the composition written in a
form of musical notation. The complete source, published
with a copyright notice, would copyright the piece.
Published without the notice, all copyright would be
lost.

So if you upload the source of a score, see to it that
it doesn't contain the notes. Regards, daveA

--
Guitar teaching materials and original music for all styles and levels.
Site: http://www.openguitar.com (()) eMail: address@hidden