MetronomeMarks and MultiMeasureRest spacing

From: Shevek
Subject: MetronomeMarks and MultiMeasureRest spacing
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:45:29 -0800 (PST)

I'm working on parts for a piece at the moment, and I ran into the problem of
getting multimeasure rests to stretch to accommodate metronome markings. I
did some searching and applied the suggested solution to the problem
(http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=659), which is \override MetronomeMark
#'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0). This solves the problem of too short
multimeasure rests, but creates a new problem, which is extra space
appearing at the beginning of bars in some parts. Here is an example of my
problem in a nutshell:

\version "2.14.2"
\language "english"

global = {
  \tempo "For example" 4=60
  s1*4
}

foo = \relative c' {
  c4 d e f |
  g f e d |
  c e g b |
  d2 c2 |
}

baz = {
  R1*4
}

\book {
  \score {
    \new Staff { \compressFullBarRests << \global \foo >> }
    \layout {
      \context {
        \Score
        \override MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = #2
        \override MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)
  \score {
    \new Staff { \compressFullBarRests << \global \baz >> }
    \layout {
      \context {
        \Score
        \override MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = #2
        \override MetronomeMark #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 0)

When I compile this, the system with notes has an extraneous space between
the time signature and the first note. Is there a way to get the
multimeasure rests to space properly, while avoiding the awkward spacing in
parts containing notes? Thanks for your help!