Re: Handel's Messiah -- question about finding which ly file runs the wh

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Handel's Messiah -- question about finding which ly file runs the whole shebang
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:07:29 -0500

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:11:16 -0500
<address@hidden> wrote:

> > I believe Lilypond developers take backward compatibility seriously
> > and would not just remove an internal command without adding code to
> > convert-ly to convert it to the new syntax.
> >
> I never implied any such thing.  I confess I did post once or twice
> before looking in the command reference, and did not find them there,
> so I did answer that part of my own question.  Even so, had I found
> the trouble-causing commands in the the other files, that still
> wouldn't have resolved for me why exactly lilypond was rejecting
> them, so I probably still would have annoyed you with my postings.
> Sometimes the 'RTFM' strategy still doesn't help. :-}

Actually, I suggested that you would look in the sources of the piece.
Perhaps I was unclear.  Or maybe I misunderstood that you have found
those commands in the sources and just asked why they don't work.

> You yourself commented that the source files were a 'mess'; that
> wasn't me. But then you chastise me for not doing my homework before
> troubling the user support list with my presumably too trifling to
> bother with questions.
>
> I'm sorry.  I work in an environment where I still have to condescend
> as sincerely as I can to people who don't read all the signs, etc.
> before asking dumb questions, and I evidently made the mistake of
> assuming such a forgiving attitude was the norm here.

Unfortunately, there is too much documentation for Lilypond to suggest
that somebody would read it all.

Regarding the environment comment, my contributions to Lilypond consist
of three documentation patches and a few bug reports.  Please don't
make conclusions about the real developers from my answers.  I'll try
to limit my participation in the list to more useful activities.

> I'll go bug Nicholas now, since my post succeeded in luring him out
> to answer. ;-) -Mark

Good luck!

--
Regards,