Re: MIDI to mp3 or wav?

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: MIDI to mp3 or wav?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:35:39 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Tim Roberts wrote:

The MIDI file says "clarinet plays
an Ab quarter note here", but it does not dictate what a clarinet sounds
like, or what its attack/decay envelope sounds like.

It's even worse: the MIDI file says "The instrument with program change number xxx (which could be, according to the GM standard, a clarinet) plays a note with notenumber yyy (If you are lucky it is an Ab, but it can just as well be a soundeffect or noise without pitch)"

There is no law that says a MIDI file should follow the GM (General Midi) standard. MIDI already existed before the GM standard was introduced.

I have always disliked the way Program Changes are inserted in Lilypond syntax: by GM instrument NAME instead of by Midi Program Change NUMBER. I would prefer numbers.

--

MT