Re: lyrics with polyphany

From: Michael_D
Subject: Re: lyrics with polyphany
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 07:21:08 -0800 (PST)

-Eluze wrote:

> <pre>
> Known issues and warnings
>
> All \partcombine... functions can only accept two voices and are not
> designed to work with lyrics such that when one of the voices is
> explicitly named in order to attach lyrics to it,
> the partcombiner will stop working.
> </pre>
> sorry i have no better news - but if you tell us what exactly you want to
> achieve there might be a solution!
>
> Eluze

Thanks for locating that for me -- I hadn't seen it (obviously).  I had four
parts, two to combine in the upper stave, and two in the lower, and I wanted
the lyrics to appear between the two staves.  I found a workaround, which
is, basically, to combine the parts 'by hand' inside two voices (one for the
upper, one for the lower).  So the upper voice looks like

<< {a a a} \\ {f2 f4 } >>

and similarly for the lower.  The lyrics have to be done by hand (they don't
pick up on the upper voice's melody, I suppose because there isn't just a
single melody there), i.e., I have to indicate durations explicitly, but it
works.