Re: MIDI novice; cannot get Reference examples to play

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: MIDI novice; cannot get Reference examples to play
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 20:01:52 +0100

Il 06/11/2011 20:16, address@hidden ha scritto:
I am _absolutely new to MIDI.  I am however
able to get some random MIDI files I found on the
web to play through my Alesis synthesizer with
the command:

     aplaymidi --port 16:0  file_i_found.mid

(I am working under Linux, CentOS 5.6).

However, I cannot get any Lilypond created midi
files to play with the above syntax.  The command
will execute, but_no_  sound is produced by my
synthesizer.

did you install timidity?

try a timidity port, see the output of:

aplaymidi -l

The Midi Through port doesn't work for me.

Or just use timidity:

timidity file.mid

KMid is a nice GUI.
BTW, does anybody know a Gtk equivalent?