ties and polyphony

From: J. Boor
Subject: ties and polyphony
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 01:06:31 +0400

In this file:

http://www.jboor.net/music/polyreel/poly.ly

a second voice begins in the second measure.

I would like there to be a tie between the last E in the first measure and
the first e4 in the second measure. The only way that I have
been able to do this is by beginning the polyphony earlier
and using a skip at the beginning of the second voice.

Is there a better way to do this? The piece doesn't really
have two voices through out, so I don't want to litter my
score with rests.

Thanks.

Jeremy