Re: King Arthur

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: King Arthur
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:37:28 +0100

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:32:48AM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> I have a question.  Many publish on Mutopia.  Others on CPDL
> (Choralwiki). Others on IMSLP.  Some have their own source repo, e.g.
> nenuvar by N.Sceaux.  Now, I have The Fairy Queen in LP (not by me)
> and before submitting it I have searched all these sites (no luck).
> Which one do you recommend? Which reasons are there for /not/
> submitting to one or them?  How will this mess finally unify, if any?
> Maybe there are unifying efforts I'm not aware of.

Somebody start a search engine to search all those places a few
years ago, but I don't know if that went anywhere.  My initial
impression was that it was an ambitious attempt by somebody who
didn't have a lot of experience in that problem domain.  Of course
we all start somewhere, and sometimes newcomers can do fantastic
stuff, but I wasn't expecting it to stay around.

You might want to send your scores to multiple sites.  The only
reason I can think of not submitting to a particular site is if
you don't meet their criteria -- if you used finale, then don't
submit to mutopia; if it's an instrumental piece, don't submit to
CPDL.

> A pity Mutopia is
> essentially freezed, see their mailing lists.

A few months ago, Valentin said he was getting invlolved with
mutopia and they were going to "unfreeze" in Sep.  A quick check
of their website shows that they have some new pieces recently.
You could ask him for more info.

Cheers,
- Graham