Re: How to announce user installed fonts on MacOS X?

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: How to announce user installed fonts on MacOS X?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:51:08 +0200

On 2011-10-13 10:58, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
Am 2011-10-13 um 09:23 schrieb Alexander Kobel:

Dear all,
I switched back from Linux to OS X on one of my machines recently, and
now I'm puzzled how to use user-installed fonts with LilyPond.
[...] The font file is copied to $HOME/Library/Fonts [...]

You’re looking for
~/.fonts.conf
and
fc-cache (fontconfig rebuild cache tool)

My .fonts.conf looks like
"""
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<cache>~/.fonts.cache-1</cache>

<dir>/System/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>~/Library/Fonts</dir>
<dir>~/FontExplorer\ X/Font\ Library</dir>
<dir>/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Fonts</dir>
</fontconfig>
"""

Thanks Henning,

the .fonts.conf does the job, and perfectly satisfies my needs and wishes.

Don't know if that will work - I use fc-cache installed with MacPorts,
and I don’t really know how LilyPond's fc interacts with my config, but
a lot of fonts are found and work.

I tried fc-cache a little bit as well (the one shipped with LilyPond), but although it recognizes also my user fonts, it doesn't help for LilyPond. Not sure why. So, probably the MacPorts fontconfig package adds the proper .fonts.conf by default. But since it's just a matter of copy-and-paste from yours, I can live without another package.

Thanks again,
Alexander