Jazz Chord Symbols

From: Louis Guillaume
Subject: Jazz Chord Symbols
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:32:19 -0400

Hi,

This may be a FAQ but I can't find definitive answers by googling.

I'm looking for more control over chord symbols.

For the most part - what I'm looking for is something close to what we see in the Real Book. But that's actually in handwriting, so some changes would obviously be wanted or needed for a LilyPond-engraved output.

The thing is - With LilyPond we seem to have the Ignatzek and alternate chord styles. These are both pretty far off from what I'm used to. Is there a way to create a new "set" of symbols for rendering chords?

In particular, I have these requirements:

  o 6th, 7th, 9th, etc. chords would have the "7" at the same
    font size as the Chord letter. e.g. "C7" should not have
    the 7 in superscript.

  o Minor would use `-' instead of `m'.

  o Major 7th would look like "Gma7" - no superscript.

  o Extra Tensions on a chord would be added as superscipt. e.g.

      - "Fma7#11" would have the "#11" in superscript.
      - "C7b5" would have the \flat 5 in superscript.
      - "A-7b5" would have the \flat 5 in superscript.
      - However "B9" and "E-11" should have NO superscript.

  o Multiple tensions would be stacked in a column to the right.

      - C7#9/b9/b13 would have the 3 tensions stacked, next to
        the 7 in the small superscript-size text.

      - A7sus2/sus4 would have those suspensions stacked.

  o Inverted chords, e.g. "A/C#" would be written as shown here,
    but the bottom of the "A" would be close to the top of the
    "C". So they aren't exactly in-line. The intent is to try and
    mimic the way these are typically written.

  o Polychords e.g. "G over F" would be written with a horizontal
    bar between both letters.

And there's probably a lot more... Any help or direction towards this end would be great. Thanks,

Louis