Re: Chords Lyrics and sometimes notation

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Chords Lyrics and sometimes notation
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:23:00 +0200

Hi nilom,

IMHO lilypond should fulfil all your needs. As you can read on the website, lilypond is text-input-based. So you have to right a little textfile. I created a very little example, of how you might get the desired results (comments start with a '%' and you should read at least the learning manual, to see, what all this means):

%%%% start
\version "2.14.2"

% first score with a melody, chords and lyrics
\score {
% curly braces are sequential. '<<' are simultaneous.
<<
% insert chordnames in chorname notation. appearance is customizable
    \new ChordNames \chordmode {
      fis1:m7 b:m
    }
% create a staff with one named voice
    \new Staff \new Voice = "mel" \relative c' {
      fis4 e2 fis4 | fis16( a b d a b eis fis fis, a b d a b eis fis)
    }
% create lyrics aligned to the named voice ... you might use the \addlyrics-command
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mel" \lyricmode {
      da da da | ti __

% second score with chords and lyrics
\score {
<<
% chordnames, see above
    \new ChordNames \chordmode {
      fis1:m7 b:m
    }
% lyrics with its own timing (12 words in one measure)
    \new Lyrics \lyricmode {
\times 2/3 { Se8 vuoi andare, ti capisco ". . ." se mi lasci ti tradisco, ". . ." } si1

%%%%

There are a lot of ways, this is just one. With a little bit of scripting, you can do almost anything in one lilypond-run. And there is a 'point-and-click'-feature, that lets you jump into the right place of the source-file from the PDF. (supported by several editors, see website)

I would recommend to give lilypond a try.

Cheers,
Jan-Peter