Re: New LilyPond tutorial

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: New LilyPond tutorial
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:26:51 +0200

Am 24.08.2011 11:19, schrieb David Kastrup:
Urs Liska<address@hidden>  writes:

OTOH I don't think there is any problem with the mere existence of
non-free documentation.
Correct.  The actual problem is the non-existence of free documentation,
and creating references to non-free documentation is a disincentive to
changing that.

I am glad that you see this similarly, since "rebasing" your work on
free material might be less work than rewriting it from scratch.
It will definitely be far less work.
The most complicated issue will be to find a suitable (i.e. most "compatible") example. Just want also to state that my copyright concerns aren't at all about some intellectual property of mine. I'm happy to share all my experience this way, there are rather formal issues I'm not really clear about yet ...

And one of my intentions was to provide online material that probably
will be exposed to search engines and opens an additional path to find
LilyPond resources.
Note that this direction is of course open to you already.  I would just
be unhappy about having Lilypond sites point back to non-free material.
Of course that's already been opened by making the page available through the menu of my web site. One imporant resource on the web are tutorials like this, giving simple solutions or thorough explanations on any given topic. My impression is that there isn't that much available for LilyPond as I would have liked when starting to learn.
So this was one major motivation to actually start writing this down.