Staff names in lilypond-book

From: Leszek Wroński
Subject: Staff names in lilypond-book
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 01:52:16 +0200

Hi again,

I'm preparing a transcription of a Baroque piece (by Zelenka) and my goal is to have a PDF with a title page, a page of commentary, and then the score. I'm a daily LaTeX user. The score is ready. I created a "dummy" lytex document with a small commentary and I used the \lilypondfile command with the "noindent" option. I'm using the "geometry" package. So, the problem is the following:

- when I processed the .ly file alone with Lilypond, the outcome is very nice when it comes to the layout; most importantly, the first system has smaller width so that the staff names (like "Basso continuo") can fit and not stick out into the left margin;
- but this is lost when using lilypond-book - all systems have exactly the same width and the staff names protrude into the left margin.

The result is very weird and I do not know how to control it. I think I might not be clear on this so I uploaded two example files into my Dropbox. This is how the score looks when processed by lilypond: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1554329/dummyGOOD.pdf And this is one of the files created when processing the lytex file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1554329/dummyBAD.pdf

Could anyone tell me how I can avoid this? And more generally, what's the easiest way to achieve full-page lilypond replication inside a latex file?

Best regards,

Leszek.