Re: Simplest way to get notes without staves

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Simplest way to get notes without staves
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:13:18 +0200

John Allsup <address@hidden> writes:

> I am new to lilypond and want (so as to have a graphic), a pair of
> quavers and a quadruple of
> semiquavers just on their own (i.e. no staff or time signature.)  What
> is the easiest way to do this
> in Lilypond.  (I am aware I could probably find some method, but I
> have a habit of finding ugly
> hacks when I do this with an unfamiliar system.)

\markup { \note #"8" #1 \note #"8" #1 }

I'd like to say that you can use something like

    \note #"8 8" #1

or

    \note #"16[ 16 16 16]" #1

or

    \note #"2/3*{8 8 8}" #1

to get more complex patterns, but that would be a lie.

You can probably use

\markup \score { ... }

together with removing a bunch of engravers in order to get a system
without staff, time signature, clef and so on.

--
David Kastrup