Re: Percussion Notation

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Percussion Notation
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 21:29:40 +0200

2011/6/28 cdg <address@hidden>:
> As far as the roll notation, I did have a mild degree of success [...].
>
> However, now I'm just trying to lower the position of the 1 and 2 tremolo on
> the stem—they're far too close to the beams in some cases.

You can move tremolo slashes using extra-offset property:
\override StemTremolo #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -0.3)
(almost everything can be moved using extra-offset. First number
specifies movement along horizontal axis, second along vertical axis)

> One other issue
> that I'm not sure is editable are the edges of the 1 and 2 slash tremolo
> marks. It's hard to describe in words. The 3 slashes on a quarter or half
> note are vertically smooth on the sides. With the 1 and 2 slashes (tremolo)
> on eighths and smaller, the vertical sides are jagged, which is a result of
> me adjusting the slope. Hopefully the following image makes this a little
> more clear.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p31942537/rollExample.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words! It's very wise of you to attach
it, now i know exactly what you need :)
And i've prepared a patch (http://codereview.appspot.com/4636081/).
It will take some time till it is pushed to the main source repository
and included in a developer release (or maybe even stable 2.14.2?),
but hopefully in 2 weeks or so there will be an official 2.15.* doing
the Right Thing by default!

> There are quite a few other issues I'm trying to figure out, but I'll save
> them for another day.

If you still have them, post them :)
We'll gladly help.

> When I work in Lilypond, I have all sorts of reference windows open,
> searching for solutions, but it's confusing knowing how to implement them.
> Just when I think I've found something, I try it out, tweak the numbers (or
> whatever the variable is) and often, nothing happens.

I can only help by saying that this is often caused by applying
override to a wrong context, omitting a ' or another typo. For example
fontsize changes below won't work
{
  c! c?
  \override AccidentalCautionary #font-size = #10
  \override BarNumber #'font-size = #10
  c! c?
  b b b b
  b b b b\break
  b b b b b b b b b b b b
}
...because:
- there is a missing ' in first command
- \override BarNumber #'font-size = #10 is equivalent to \override
Voice.BarNumber #'font-size = #10 (i.e. if no context is specified,
Voice context is assumed). This is wrong because BarNumber lives in
the Score context.

> I wish the Internals
> Reference had examples of how each is used and "how tweaking this does that,
> and how tweaking that does this". For example, \override Beam
> #'beamed-stem-shorten. I've tweaked those 3 numbers all sorts of different
> ways with little to no change. So now I'm thinking it's not what I think it
> is.

Me too :) I suppose the problem is that it is a quite inner (internal)
property, i.e. very tightly bound with other ones and perhaps not
intended to be tweaked by "ordinary" user.
>From what i know about beaming code, the many variables and properties
present there are quite interlocked, and changing one may not produce
instatntly visible results because of influence of others.

> But it's all good. When I do figure something out, I feel like I've
> conquered the world. ;)

I know that feeling :)
I have it when a patch i've prepared works :)

HTH,
Janek