Re: status of mutopia project

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: status of mutopia project
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 19:20:47 +0200

2011/4/8 steve <address@hidden>:
> Howdy!
>
>   Hope this isn't too OT, but can't get any info anywhere else..
>
>   What is the status of the mutopiaproject http://mutopiaproject.org ??
>
>   I have discovered errors in goldberg aria, reported them to
> all contacts, even added corrected source files. Also just
> recently tried to subscribe to mailing list at mutopiaproject and
> the subscription request(s) bounced!!  This has been going on
> for at least a year. No corrections, no acknowledgement, no contact
> at all??
>
>    Is this project dead?

Sadly yes it is, in practice.  Latest updates are dec 2010 (four
posts). Any posts previous to those 4 are a year old.  I'd love that
Petrucci Music Library http://imslp.org/wiki/ supported maintaining of
source lilypond files in the same site.  Sceaux and others just link
to their own sites for sources.

Maybe it is a good thing that freely available scores mix scanned and
typeset documents whatever their origin or the software used; but no
doubt that completely free scores are only possible if you have the
source _and_ the typesetting engine is free as in freedom (i.e. Finale
documents are useless for me for a triple reason: I need a costly
software to see them, even if a viewer is available at zero cost I
still can not hack the score, and even if I could, I am not free
because that viewer is prorietary software).

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com