Re: \set - \override #(set

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: \set - \override #(set
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 16:31:28 -0600

On 3/26/11 3:35 PM, "Damian leGassick" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've been using lilypond for years but I still can't figure out the rationale
> for
>
> e.g.
>
> bar numbers - why us it:
>
> \override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility blah (note capital B)

BarNumber is a Grob, so it starts with a capital letter.  And its property
break-visibility is being overridden.

> but
>
> \set Score.currentBarNumber #blah (note camelCase)

currentBarNumber is a property of the Score (actually Timing, which is
aliased to Score) context.

> and why #(set-accidental-style etc

Because in order to change the accidental style, lots of things need to be
done, so it's a Scheme procedure.

> and not
>
> \set Score.accidentalStyle

If there were a context property of a Score that was accidentalStyle, this
would work.

>or even \set Score.Accidental style

If Accidental grobs had an interface with a 'style property, you could do

\override Score.Accidental #'style = #blah

Of course, it doesn't.

> is there any easy way to remember whether it's \set \override or #(set*?

\set for Context Properties (see Internals Reference section 2.3)

\override for Grob Properties (see Internals Reference section 3.3)

#(set  for specific applications -- set-accidental-style,
set-global-staff-size.

HTH,

Carl