Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 00:00:26 -0400

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dmytro,
>
>> our creativity can make other people more active or make them
>> watching "just another idol". The lower the barrier --- the more crap.
>> The more crap --- the more "just another idols" and the less of creativity.
>
> I couldn't have put it better myself.

The "crap" that disturbs me the most is when great art is put to petty
ends to sell product.  The reason most musicians despise the Pachelbel
Canon has nothing to do with the quality of the composition. They're
just sick of it, largely because it became so popular in the late '70s
that it was the background of choice for commercials selling
everything from luxury cars to baby powder.  In a similar vein, I
really love Carmina Burana but if I hear one more football or monster
truck ad blaring "O Fortuna" I may be put off of it forever.

Cheers,
Mike