Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: [OT] Vivi, the Virtual Violinist, plays LilyPond music
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:08:53 -0400

Hi David,

Excellent rebuttal!

> The whole point is that a computer, left to its own devices, would never
> think of playing the violin or chess.  It would sit in a corner and rust.

With all due respect, I don't even think that's the point -- for at some future
date, there will undoubtedly be a computer which, left to its own devices,
*would* think of playing the violin or chess rather than sitting in a corner
and rusting.

Rather, I think the point is: Why would the mere existence of such a computer
stop any human from wanting to continue making music (or playing chess) at his
or her highest possible level? To reuse your [excellent] analogy: Just because
cars are faster than humans doesn't mean we should stop trying to run our
fastest.

Best,
Kieren.