Re: Merging Rests in Single Staff with more than one 'voice'

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Merging Rests in Single Staff with more than one 'voice'
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 19:06:14 +0100

On 22 January 2011 18:52, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't often use multiple voices in a single staff, so am a bit
> unfamiliar and am still finding my way.
>
> However I cannot easily see how I can take two 'voices' each from a single
> source such that when they are combined on a single staff the rests that
> both voices share are only printed once.
>
> For example
>

> \musicSourceOne = { a4 b c d | R1*4 | a4 r b r2 }
> \musicSourceTwo = { f4 r f r | R1*4 | f4 f g r2 }
>
> << \musicSourceOne // \musicSourceTwo >>
>
> Is about as basic as it gets.
>
> However in measures two and three both the Multimeasure rest and the r2
> are printed for each voice.
>
> I looked for a merge-rest type function and the LSR but couldn't see an
> easy way to do this without more complex editing.
>
> Did I miss something or am I going to have to make 'skips' in one voice
> and manually position the r2 so it sits on the correct line 'as if' it
> were only printed once in the other?

Funny I just raised issue 1228 that has a pending PATCH for 5 months now

Wilbert's PATCH (see attachment to comment #1) is actually an improved
version of LSR #336 that handles merging of both normal rests and
MultiMeasureRest.
I asked to implement this feature directly into LilyPond, which is issue
#1228 (that will be closed soon I hope).

Normally it should work fine in your case, does it?

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>