Re: Chords with unequal durations

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Chords with unequal durations
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:02:55 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> To: "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden>; "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 4:24 PM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 4:05 PM

On 9/13/10 7:47 AM, "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 11:30 AM

One problem with turning off the clashing note column warning is that if
differently headed notes are being merged, it causes the heads of merged
half notes to get filled in. Is this a bug?

I would say so, given that it's not intended and obvious behaviour. I'll
copy it to the bug newsgroup.

I don't believe it's a bug.  The command says to merge differently headed
notes. Merging a half note and a quarter note should result in a filled in
note; it's the union of both notes.

What would you expect to happen when you merge a half note and a quarter
note?

Thanks,

Carl

Well, if you show the shorter one on top, it's impossible to tell the length of the longer one. If you show the longer, you can infer the shorter from the other notes in the voice? Also - check the first note in the example, where the longer is shown on top. Oh - and try the effect of explicitly giving the value of the second minim (I'm British) - leave it as c, and we get no minim notehead. Make it explicit as c2 and the notehead appears.

Sorry with that last comment - I was confusing myself with some of my experiments and got the final version with the \override commented out. However, if you do that with Nick's example, you don't get a clashing note warning anyway!

--
Phil Holmes