Re: List-email Suggestion

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: List-email Suggestion
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 12:29:00 +0100

 On 06/09/10 01:14, Brett McCoy wrote:
> Every other Linux based audio list I am on
> pre-pends subjects with the list name. Why is this such a horrible
> thing to do?

Because, like so many things, it's a nightmare when misused.

You said you like to scan by subject. Fine. Just wait until *A*L*L* you
can see of the subject is the fw's, re's, [list tag]'s etc. Been there,
done that. All you need is *somebody* *else's* badly-behaved email
client, and things get out of hand.

At the end of the day, this list abides by the RFCs, which *define* how
a *well* *behaved* list should operate. If you've got a badly behaved
mail client that can't cope, don't force your fix onto everyone else.
Why not do what I do, which is group by thread, and dump related groups
into the same folder - separate your music from your other lists, for
example.

Cheers,
Wol