Re: Add prefix to lyrics

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Add prefix to lyrics
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:29:06 +0200

[repost to -user; I guess the attachments were too large. What's the maximum message size for the mailing list?]

On 2010-09-03 10:47, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
will font's hyphen be acceptable for lyrics as a _minimally_
acceptable.

I think the answer is yes.  However, this is my feeling and not based
on facts.  Maybe someone has some time to investigate that by checking
various vocal scores of various publishers.

I just checked with Carus, Edition Peters (Schott), Breitkopf & Härtel and Bärenreiter Urtext scores. (Sorry, no scans, just digicam photos for now.)

<http://www.a-kobel.de/images/carus.jpg>
I'm not very fond of Carus prints (though they have good ones) and don't really consider them as guidance, so I keep this short: They leave out hyphens if necessary, and they all have the same length. They seem to use the hyphen of the current font, since they have different thicknesses in the italics and the upright fonts for the different languages (nearly unrecognizable in the digicam shots).

<http://www.a-kobel.de/images/peters.jpg>
In the Peters, hyphens seem to have all equal length, and equal position. It's hard to tell the thickness due to the printout (the ink slightly erodes (correct term?)), but it looks like the usual hyphen of the font, compared to the introductory preface. If necessary, the hyphen is left out completely.

<http://www.a-kobel.de/images/baerenreiter.jpg>
In the Bärenreiter editions I have here, such a tight setting is _very_ rare. Scores have a lot of white space, at the cost of thicker books and more page turns. Even if spacing is close, they try to shift the syllables a bit to gain free space. But I finally found some situations. They _seem_ (can't really guarantee, again the ink is slightly washed out) to apply kerning to the hyphen if necessary: in "sol - vet", the dash is lowered to nearly the middle of the horizontal line of the "e" and the baseline, and shifted under the left part of the "v" to gain some space. (Sorry, I closed the book and don't remember the right page for a scan.) If even this does not work, the hyphen is left out altogether, and - if still necessary - the characters are squeezed more than normal. (In the attached file, check out "ihnen geht ein" in the top right corner, compared to the second system's lyrics.) Again, the length of the dashes seem constant throughout the book; the glyph looks exactly the same as in normal text in the prefatory matter.

<http://www.a-kobel.de/images/breitkopf.jpg>
Breitkopf & Härtel certainly do not use the font's dash glyph: Their hyphens are on the baseline, as the extenders (at least in this print of Brahms: "Ein deutsches Requiem"), which looks very odd. Lengths are all the same, and if necessary, hyphens are just left out.

For all publishers: If hyphens are left out, all publishers write the syllables as close together as if it were just one syllable. I could not find thin spaces in between, which sometimes appear in LilyPond's output.

On a sidenote, I'm surprised that none of the publishers I remember right out of my head seems to use a condensed font for lyrics - or they may just have some that good that I just don't recognize them as condensed fonts at the first glance.

Cheers,
Alexander