initial repeats with alternate bar style

From: Steve Tarr
Subject: initial repeats with alternate bar style
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:05:16 -0700

I'm trying to reproduce some Sacred Harp music. The piece starts with a repeated section which starts with a partial measure. It's marked with a column of dots at the beginning of the piece. The snippet shown in "Printing a repeat sign at the beginning of a piece" doesn't have the desired effect in this case.

Staff 1 shows the behavior with the standard repeat bar - it's displayed at the beginning of the piece as expected. Staff 2 shows what happens when I use an alternate bar style - the repeat mark disappears. Staff 3 appears visually correct, but the grace note causes other problems in the full piece, so I'd rather not use this workaround.

Is there some way to modify or augment the "firstRepeatOverride" snippet so that it will allow arbitrary barlines - not just the standard repeat bar - to be displayed at the beginning of a piece?

-Steve Tarr

\version "2.13.31"
% snippet from "printing-a-repeat-sign-at-the-beginning-of-a-piece.ly"
\include "firstRepeatOverride.ly"

\score {
    \new Staff {
        \firstRepeatOverride