[Lyrics] Problem: Automatic syllable duration is turning a quarter note

From: storri
Subject: [Lyrics] Problem: Automatic syllable duration is turning a quarter note syllable into half note syllable
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:47:19 -0400

Version: GNU LilyPond 2.12.3

Setup:
  - notes of the melody contained in 'voices.ly'
  - lyrics for first verse contained in 'lyrics.ly'.
    This will hold all the different lyrics

Problem:

   In measure 9 of the piece the syllable 'sur' of the word 'survey' is
taking up take up a two beats of time (4/4 tempo) instead of a quarter
note.

Steps taken:

  - Reduced problem two just the global.ly (header info), voices.ly
    and lyrics.ly
  - Created makefile for building the project.

Question:

Q1. What is the recommended why to debug lilypond projects? When I used
that it did not provide me anymore information as to why the automatic
syllable duration was making 'sur' into two beats.

Attachments:
   - The_Wonderful_Cross.tar.gz contains:
     - d_major.ly (master file)
     - global.ly (header information)