barlines print out at inconsistent widths with Preview (Mac OS X 10.6.x)

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: barlines print out at inconsistent widths with Preview (Mac OS X 10.6.x)
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:30:22 -0400

I've noticed occasionally in the past, and now once again with 2.13.29, that
Lilypond-generated PDFs often print out with variable width barlines (even
though the PDFs appear fine at all magnifications) when printing from the
Preview application on Mac OS X 10.6. The problem does not seem to occur when
printing from Adobe Acrobat Professional 9, so this is almost certainly a
problem with non-Lilypond software, at least in part, but I'm wondering what
about Lilypond-generated PDFs might be triggering it.

I have attached a scanned image of a printout from Preview of one score that
shows the problem, with a blow up of the scan showing the individual pixels for
one area where the problem appears. As you can see, it's a pretty striking
difference, with the heavier barlines about 50% thicker than the thinner ones:

image/jpg

For what it's worth, I'm printing to an HP LaserJet 1300 (I don't have another
printer handy to test this on right now) and am printing from. I opened the
file in Illustrator and the barlines of different thicknesses seem to be
identical in the PDF (.93 pt), but as you can see from the scan there seems to
be no rhyme nor reason to this. It wouldn't seem to have anything to do with
image resolution since these are all vector graphics, so does anyone have any
idea what might be going on or how to fix it.

The obvious work-around is to print using Acrobat, which I will do, but it’s
still a curious problem. Any thoughts?

Best,

Arle