Re: The MIDI output of a staff should play at a lower volume

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The MIDI output of a staff should play at a lower volume
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 08:48:03 +0200

Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Brett McCoy wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Disc Magnet <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to express that a certain MIDI instrument should be
>>> played less loudly than its normal volume throughout the piece?
>>
>> I use normal dynamic markings for that (\ppp, \p, \f). You can always
>> tweak the volume in a sequencer.
>
> And if you want those dynamics in your MIDI output but not printed in
> your score, you can easily set up two different score blocks. One for
> \midi {} and the other for layout {}.

To answer the original question, check the node "Controlling MIDI
dynamics" in the notation manual.  If per-Staff control does not seem
sufficient, but you need to mangle the MIDI instrument wherever it may
appear, you could use your own dynamics function to warp the given
dynamics whenever the instrument is in effect.

--
David Kastrup