Re: Suppress .ps generation

From: Ralf Mattes
Subject: Re: Suppress .ps generation
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:13:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 10:15:51 -0400, Johnny Ferguson wrote:

> looking through the man page, it seems you're pointing to the "-f"
> option. I take it that the default settings are "--formats=pdf,ps"
>
> specifying explicitly "--formats=pdf" should override this. Any idea why
> ps output is a default?

Because, as you might have guessed from the messages lilypond emmits, the
pdf output is generated by converting the ps output.
So 'formats=pdf' just deletes the postscript file after processing.

> Also, why isn't midi one of the options? It seems kind of odd that
> command-line options determine output, but only to an extent. Midi
> output seems to be a feature of the language. That seems kind of messy
> to me.

Maybe because midi isn't a graphical output format? The formats parameter
lets you select one or more file formats for graphical output, midi is a
completely differnt kind of animal, it requires changes to the lilypond
file.

 HTH Ralf Mattes