Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Re: Creating a comparison of several variants of unmettered chant
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:12:12 -0800 (PST)

Alexander Kobel wrote:

> What's that thingy next to the very
> last note of this excerpt (the d' on "pro-mlu-VIL")?  Is this just a
> random blast of ink, or some cool typographic detail missed so far?

It is a "nota caudata", common in chant (plainchant) notation, meaning
various things, like a liquescent syllable, or used as a note concluding
certain phrases of chant and so on. I learned to write these also in
Lilypond now, so it is really a cool typographic detail which I will use in
my edition of the Czech plainchant which I prepare now.