Re: Circular Staff in Inkscape [was Re: Lilypond vs Score]

From: Tim Reeves
Subject: Re: Circular Staff in Inkscape [was Re: Lilypond vs Score]
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:54:44 -0800

M Watts <address@hidden> wrote on 02/04/2010 05:18:40 AM:

> > I have to admit - I tried it and it's not easy to get a staff to
conform
> > to a circle, for example. Maybe someone else can. My Inkscape skills
are
> > weak, though I love the software.
> >

> Not sure how to wrap the entire staff in a circle, but you can easily
> draw a circular staff in Inkscape:-
>
> Draw a circle (F5) with Ctrl held down, 115 px in size;
>
> Get outline only by Ctrl+Shift+F, click the X under Fill, and flat color

> (2nd left) under Stroke paint (or click the X near bottom left of
> window, and Shift-click a coler for line color);
>
> Clone it 4 times (Alt + D);
>
> Hit F1 and make sure the circle and all clones are selected by drawing a

> selection box around the circle (the status bar will tell you if they're

> all selected; you anly see the top one);
>
> Open the Transform dialog (Shift+Ctrl+M), go Scale, width & height both
> 110%, and make sure 'Scale proportionally' and 'Apply to each object
> separately' are both checked.
>
> Click Apply :)
>
> Btw, Inkscape has layers -- use them if you don't want to be constantly
> dragging the wrong notes and whatnot around.

Thanks, but this I could do, if I wanted to.
What I'd rather do is typeset the piece entirely in Lilypond, *then* warp
and twist it, clone it, shade it, blur it, etc. with Inkscape. I know it
can be done, I just lack the Inkscape-fu to do some of those things,
specifically the first one.
Bertalan's trick is also very cool, but requires a lot of tweaking to get
the stems at the correct angles, etc., and isn't very flexible.

Tim Reeves