Re: No solution for ...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: No solution for ...
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:15:22 +0100

Joerg Anders <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm the author of the score editor NtEd
>
>   (http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml)
>
> I always tried to achiev a correct LilyPond export
> for the score. But users told me there is no solution for
> a very simple situation:
>
>   1st staff: 2 voices , 2 lines of lyrics
>   2nd staff: 1 voice, no lyrics
>
> Either the lyrics appear at the wrong position or
> LilyPond forgets to compute the stem directions.
>
> To avoid complicated ASCII graphics I prepared a WEB site
> to explain the problem. So, please have a look at:
>
>   http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/lilyproblem.xhtml

As a rule of thumb when exporting: don't use \\.  It is a shortcut
leading to trouble in more complex situations.

Example 1 was rather horrid, since \addlyrics was entered in global
context (I am surprised that you do get lyrics at all in a somewhat
sensible manner).

Example 2 was almost right.  If you just write

        <<
                \new Voice = "one" { \voiceOne \StaffAVoiceA }
                \new Voice = "two" { \voiceTwo \StaffAVoiceB }

instead of using \\, you got it.  \\ creates two Voice contexts named
"1" and "2" (but don't rely on those names) and starts them with
\voiceOne and \voiceTwo.  Now if you create your own Voice contexts, the
contexts from \\ remain empty.  Which means that \\ is not doing
anything useful at all.

--
David Kastrup