Re: hymns: chords vs. voices

From: mike99
Subject: Re: hymns: chords vs. voices
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:19:47 -0800 (PST)

Carl Sorensen-3 wrote:

> I set printPartCombineTexts to  #f.  I have just lived with it.  But given
> your experience with chords, I decided to try putting a chord with a
> transparent note in the voice that needed the extra stem:
>
> soprano =  \relative c'' {
>   a f e d |
>   e g c b
> }
>
> alto = \relative c' {
>   c d c <d \tweak #'transparent ##t b> |
>   c <g' \tweak #'transparent ##t e> g f
> }
>

> \score {
>   \partcombine \soprano \alto
> }
>

> It worked (although in the first case (the d) there is an unwanted ledger
> line; we could also make the ledger lines transparent to avoid that
> problem).
>
> I'm looking at the possibility of writing a music function that will
> automatically do this, but I haven't got it to work yet.

This does work, though I found another limitation. Because you have to place
the note head about one staff space down in order to avoid horizontal
displacement of the phantom note head, the stem protrudes further down (or
up, as the case may be) than normal. Compare this solution with the standard
polyphonic stem lengths using this snippet:

%=======================
soprano =  \relative c'' {
  a f e d |
  e g c b
}

alto = \relative c' {
  c d c <d \tweak #'transparent ##t b> |
  c <g' \tweak #'transparent ##t e> g f
}

altoPoly = \relative c' {
  c d c d |
  c g' g f
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { \partcombine \soprano \alto }
    \new Staff { << \soprano \\ \altoPoly >> }

}
%=======================

Carl Sorensen-3 wrote:

>> A related issue is how collision avoidance is handled. I changed the alto
>> voice in measure 2 to have a b-flat in order to show that partcombine
>> uses
>> one stem with two note heads, whereas it's preferable to use standard
>> polyphony (creating an exception from the chord notation), as discussed
>> in
>> my  previous post.
>
> I suspect this can also be fixed by adding a chord with a second note
> having
> a transparent head.

I tried it with the same two measures, and it works with the same
limitations regarding ledger lines and stem lengths. For example, modify the
alto parts of the above snippet:

%=======================
alto = \relative c' {
  c d <d \tweak #'transparent ##t b> <d \tweak #'transparent ##t b> |
  c <g' \tweak #'transparent ##t e> g f
}

altoPoly = \relative c' {
  c d d d |
  c g' g f
}
%=======================

Carl Sorensen-3 wrote:

>> 3.  Chords within a voice cause the voices to be typeset separately, as
>> in
>> the bass clef in measure four. I intuitively expected partcombine to use
>> one
>> stem.
>
> I think that you want them to have different stems, so you can see which
> part is split.

I should think that I would, too, if I were preparing pieces for a practiced
choir whom the conductor expected to sing their parts—but this is
congregational singing, so pick-and-choose is the order of the day. =) It's
also written like that in my "reference," and in any case, if I so desire it
can be achieved by writing the full chord in one voice and using a silent
rest in the other.

So far, so good; this is a viable alternative. Again, thanks for your
help... this is fun.