Re: Strange page breaking issue in 2.13.10

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Strange page breaking issue in 2.13.10
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 20:38:40 +0100

Am Montag, 4. Januar 2010 17:57:34 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hi Reinhold,
>
> > Unfortunately, after inserting this forced \pageBreak the scores (except
> > the last), which before took only ~1.33 pages, suddently don't even fit
> > on 2 pages any more, but need 3 pages!
>
> +1
> I've noticed this kind of thing [a lot!] for a number of versions now —
>  maybe starting 2.13.7 or so? — but haven't had the time to make a minimal
>  example. Forced page breaks definitely wreak havoc, though the effect
>  seems to be minimized by changing the page-breaking mechansm (e.g.,
>  optimal- vs minimal-).

... which causes other problems...

> > Any ideas how I can get this score on 4 pages, with
> > -) 1 Title page
> > -) 2 pages for the next 4 scores
> > -) 1 page for the final score
>
> I ended up taking advantage of my layout functions:
>
> pageBreaksForbid = { \override Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn
>  #'page-break-permission = ##f }
> pageBreaksAllow = { \revert
>  Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn #'page-break-permission } lineBreaksForbid = {
[...]
> It's a hassle to do this manually — especially on a 40+ page score — but it
>  was the only way to crank out the score in the required time.

Unfortunately, this is not an option for me, as I'm creating both individual
instrumental parts as well as various kinds of scores from the same source,
where the parts and the scores of course have different page break
requirements (e.g. for the full score page break positions are not really
important, so the layout should be as good as possible;  but for instrumental
parts the position of the breaks is crucial).

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886