Re: cadenza at beginning of song

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: cadenza at beginning of song
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:33:44 +0100

2009/10/16 chip <address@hidden>:
> I am working on a song that has a free time cadenza at the beginning, but am
> having a problem with the other instruments rests for the duration of the
> cadenza.

Put the cadenza in a separate identifier (i.e., cadenza = \relative
c'' { ... } ), then you can use mmrest-of-length to create a full-bar
rest with the same length:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Special-rhythmic-concerns#Aligning-to-cadenzas

> Also, the notes of the cadenza run to the right edge of the page
> and disappear, the notes don't wrap down to create another staff.

Automatic line breaking relies on barlines, so you'll have to insert
invisible barlines (\bar "") where you're happy for a break to occur
(or force with \break).

Regards,
Neil