Re: chord durations

From: Christian Henning
Subject: Re: chord durations
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:19:08 -0400

Hi there, first of all thanks to everyone who replied. I really
appreciate every reply.

For a start, I would like to describe what I'm really after. I have
some songs, mostly transcribed by my guitar teacher, which I like to
transform into sheet music. I have every songs on a piece of paper
written by a pencil. Though, I know what lilypond is suppose to
produce. All songs are mostly chord progression with an accompanying
rhythm. There is nothing fancy about the songs. They are mostly
Pixies, or Radiohead songs.

I have read most of the documentation on chords, duration, and rhythm.
Also, I'm a very beginner in writing sheet music and in being a
lilypond user.

Now, I use \chordmode to describe the chord progression with their
duration. For the rhythm I use \voice. See the next example:

\version "2.12.2"

#(ly:set-option 'delete-intermediate-files #t)  % deletes the .ps file
automatically

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \chordmode {
      g1 | g4..:sus4 g2 | \break bes1 | b4..:sus4 bes2

  \new Voice \with {
    \consists Pitch_squash_engraver
  } \relative c'' {
    \improvisationOn
    g16 g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g
    g16 g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g
    g16 g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g
    g16 g g g g g g g g g g g g g g g
  }

After rendering it, the chords are off by a 16th note. The first line
is mostly correct, except that the first b_flat is suppose to start on
the second line ( 3rd measure ). Though, there is something wrong with
the second G chord's duration in the second measure. Fixing that would
help me a lot.

I hope things are more clear now with my real intention.

Thanks again for the great support.

Christian