Re: How do you move a note horizontally?

From: Helge Kruse
Subject: Re: How do you move a note horizontally?
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:21:31 +0200

Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
Ok, trying it right now...

--- On Wed, 7/29/09, Nick Payne <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Nick Payne <address@hidden>
To: "'Jonathan Wilkes'" <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Date: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 10:25 PM
\once \override NoteColumn
#'force-hshift = #x

Set x to negative to move to the left, positive to the
right.

Nick

Hi Nick,
     I can't get it to work:

\version "2.12.2"

\relative c' {
        c \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #8 d e f
}

Am I using it correctly?

I also tried the NonMusicalPaperColumn thingy that's listed in the NR, and it won't do anything either.

-Jonathan

Searching the Snippet Repository I think, that the force-hshift works only in polyphonic music. I get this feeling, since in this example

        << {
                g4 a
        } \\ {

                c,4
                \once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #1
                d e f
        } >>

the horizontal shift vanishes when you remove the second note (a) in the upper voice. Is force-hshift intended for such a fine-tuning?

The sample above is mimiced from "Forcing horizontal shift of notes" found in LSR.

Helge