volta repeats with alternatives

From: Felix Krause
Subject: volta repeats with alternatives
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:28:02 +0200

Hi all,

I have two problems with endings of volta repeats:

1) I have a volta repeat with an alternative ending, like this:

\override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility = #'#(#t #t #t)
\repeat volta 2 { r4 f r f }
\alternative { { r f r f } {  r f r a, } }
d a d a

The two endings should have the same bar (=measure) number. But lilypond increments the bar number of the second ending by 1. This is pretty annoying, as I need to manually set the bar number, like this:

\override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility = #'#(#t #t #t)
\repeat volta 2 { r4 f r f }
\alternative { { r f r f } {
\set Score.currentBarNumber = #2
r f r a, } }
d a d a

Is there a setting or something to do this automatically? Why isn't it done by default anyway? (btw: the override command is just used to demonstrate the problem, I only need the measure numbers at the beginning of each line.)

2) I want to place a mark over the bar right after the second ending:

\repeat volta 2 { r4 f r f }
\alternative { { r f r f } {  r f r a, } }
\bar "||" \mark "A"
d a d a

The "A" is printed above the bar of the second ending - it would be prettier to have it right above the bar. I found this in the language reference to shorten the bars:

\repeat volta 2 { r4 f r f }
\alternative { { r f r f } {
\set Score.voltaSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 3 4)
          r f r a, } }
\bar "||" \mark "A"
d a d a

Unfortunately, this closes the second bar with a vertical line for some reason. How do I make it stay open? (or how do I print the "A" to the same height as the bar without shortening it?)

Cheers,
Felix