Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords

From: Patrick Horgan
Subject: Re: Lilypond and Jazz chords
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:31:27 -0700

David Fedoruk wrote:

The original BerkLee Real Fake book is no longer available, nor are some of the others. These fake books have to have thousands of clearances to be ablel to put these books together as they are and be able to be legally sold.
Ironically, their The Real Book was a bootleg done by two students and that's why it's hard to get--nevertheless it's on thousands of music stands all over the world and you can still find bootleg editions of it for sale under the counter of hipper music stores.  It was ground breaking because unlike the official fake books of the day they attempted to document the real changes being played by real jazz artists.  Hal Leonard has re-released it as a sixth edition (to follow the five bootleg editions) that is mostly the same, only replacing the songs that he couldn't get publishing rights to (no Frank Zappa sigh), and fixing some problems in the bootleg ones.  If you get it I recommend the mini editions (in volume I, II, and three;).  They're just as readable, comb binding to lay flat on a music stand, and fit in a gig bag better.

Patrick